Wives of the Bible: Abigail, Part 2


Picking up right where I left off in Abigail’s account in 1 Samuel 25, I'm adding to our list of observations about this inspiring wife.


💛Abigail was a peacemaker.  Ouch!  The Bible warns about being a contentious wife, but am I truly a peacemaker like Abigail?  She was willing to accept the blame herself for something her worthless scoundrel of a husband Nabal did.  She took the blame for his offenses.  And although Christ hasn't yet been on the scene in this Old Testament account, what a Christlike thing to do.  Her heart was pure, and she was truly living by the admonition to live peaceably with all men as much as is within her power (Rom. 12:18).  Do I help my husband seek and maintain peace in our relationship and in our family?  Do I seek to maintain peace, or am I a contentious wife?  Am I willing to take blame, even when something isn't my fault, or do I need to "prove something" and "be right"?


💛Abigail was persuasive.  Once she begins speaking to David, Abigail launches into an explanation about why David doesn't need to shed this blood.  She knows the situation already and recognizes that David is a future king and that, to be innocent and blameless before God, he must let God avenge and not take it upon himself to do so.  Through her thoughtful words, she's able to calm David down and persuade him from the sin he was pursuing.  Am I effective in persuading my husband and loved ones to stay far from sin?  Do I intervene when I see it become a problem or hindrance?


💛Abigail spent time praising. As a words of affirmation girl, this is one of my favorites!  She tells David in verse 28, "because my lord is fighting the battles of the LORD, and evil shall not be found in you so long as you live."  She boldly reminds David WHO he is and WHOSE he is in singing these praises of him.  Do I praise my husband every chance I get?  Am I forthcoming with as many words of affirmation toward my husband as I expect or hope to receive from him? 


💛Abigail was perceptive.  She knows how to handle the situation best because she seems to have paid attention even to the minor details. I can't help but think that she may be alluding to David's fight against Goliath when she paints the vivid picture of God slinging David's enemies far from him (verse 29).  She's been observant and knows her audience, so to speak.  Do I recognize the potential in others and praise/encourage them accordingly?  Do I pay attention to the details about my husband's life in order to be a better encourager?  Do I do the same for the rest of my family, for my friends, and for all those around me?


💛Abigail was poised.  Finally, Abigail requests that David remember her when he becomes king.  She never once seems afraid at all, yet she's talking to a future king who was about to wipe all the men in her family clear off the map!  But she remained confident and collected the entire time.  Do I exhibit poise and confidence?  Do I trust in the Lord to take care of my husband and my family? 


Abigail leaves a LOT for a girl to work on!  I'm sure there are so many more nuances of her account that I have missed because her history is so rich, but I'm thankful for the things I've learned in studying her story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#2getherwearebetter: My Home Office

Plan with Me Sundays: Vegas Edition

TpT Seller Challenge: Week 1: Makeover Madness