What will success even look like now?


I was eating lunch with a friend recently, and of course, we were talking about the upcoming school year.  She knows how this past year was a struggle for me personally and professionally as I learned to balance my life and navigate my health and well-being.  She and I both expressed our concerns over all the decisions being made in light of the COVID situation, but neither of us really had a better answer or alternative.  There are risks and problems no matter what the powers that be decide, so we just have to have faith.

I told her I was thankful for my summer and glad for all the projects I've been able to work on.  I told her that I appreciated the break and change of pace, and while I wanted to stretch summer a little longer (as teachers always do), I was ready to try again.  I was (I am) ready for a new year and to put this past year behind.  Then I blurted, "I am just ready to be successful again this year... but I don't even know what that looks like."

I had thought it, I suppose, though maybe not in so many words.  I hadn't really heard myself say it out loud either.  I have NO idea what success will look like this year.  For myself or my students.

I plan to spend these last few weeks of summer collecting ideas and getting somewhat organized and prepped for the school year ahead.  I want to map out new standards and skills that I want my students to achieve and perhaps contemplate how I might arrange my schedule this year to be most efficient.  But even with all this planning (and boy, am I planner!), nothing will stop all chaos from breaking loose again.  We are NOT in control of this situation.  None of us are.  We are truly at one another's mercy, and we need to handle the entire situation delicately and respectfully to care for one another's health.  But back to my main point... we just don't know what to expect.

I think the COVID quarantine has helped us thrust forward in education, though it's also brought up some powerful conversations about equity for all learners and demographics.  I think now is the time to seize these opportunities for "thinking outside the box" and use technology in new and efficient ways.  (I have some ideas for leveraging these digital platforms to hopefully work in better ways for my students.)

I've been reading the book Fewer Things, Better in which Angela Watson really encourages teachers to redefine what's important to them, both inside and outside the classroom.  What better time than now to contemplate what this "new success" is for myself and for my students?  So, I've been pondering this for a few days now, and I'm sort of "thinking out loud" here...

What {I think} success will look like for ME personally...

  • Continuing to study and pray, both independently and with my husband
  • Walking or exercising daily to manage my stress & cortisol levels
  • Staying on top of chores and clutter in the house (namely putting things back where they go!)
  • Mapping out a weekly plan of priorities (perhaps utilizing my planner in a more consistent and beneficial way)
  • Listening to my inner self to stay on top of my mental health
  • Learning to establish healthy boundaries (this goes for personal and professional worlds!)

What {I think} success will look like for ME professionally...

  • Planning and prioritizing with intention... either early on Saturday mornings or Sunday afternoons (or some other time, but intentionally having a block of time to do it so I don't feel I'm taking away from my husband)
  • Batching tasks so that I can *hopefully* nix the multi-tasking habit and truly attend to my tasks well
  • Asking for help from a trusted colleague or administrator when I need help

What {I think} success will look like for MY STUDENTS...

  • Communicating frequently about their mental health (this quarantine has affected us ALL, and THIS is my number one priority when we return to the classroom)
  • Practicing conversational skills and writing skills in a variety of contexts
  • Exploring new vocabulary and morphology to build capacity for oral language and reading
And honestly, if/when we go back to school, and my students know they're safe and loved... and they're growing in their abilities to communicate in their new language... And if/when I go back to school, and I feel appreciated and accomplished... like I'm making an impact in their lives... then I think... maybe, just maybe, we can call that a success this year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan with Me Sundays: Vegas Edition

#2getherwearebetter: My Home Office

TpT Seller Challenge: Week 1: Makeover Madness