I'm SO "Appy" Today!

I LOVE technology, and I was thrilled when I discovered the awesome number of apps that were FREE today!  I don't know how long they'll be free, so don't wait to download them.  Clearly I haven't had time to use them all, but I wrote a little blurb so you know a little about what each appears to do.  (I have had some of the McGraw Hill ones for a while since they were free last time, and they're WONDERFUL!)  I also noted some awesome discounted apps below that might interest you.  Have fun!

My Favorites
  • ELL Teacher GPS - I'm a HUGE believer in high quality professional development; I love to present to others, and I love to learn from others.  When I saw this app, I almost jumped from my seat from excitement!  Most teachers today don't get the training they need for English learners in their teacher training program, yet ELs are one of the highest growing diverse populations of students!  I always try to provide great PD for my co-teachers, but this app appears to already have it all!  It has videos, articles, quick tips, and more...what a great reference tool!  I haven't explored it yet, but it's from McGraw Hill so it has to be great!   
  • Number Line Manipulative - This appears to be a new app.  I'm really excited about it, especially with the new levels of conceptual thinking required by Common Core standards.  I'm hoping this will give my students a better understanding of the space along a number line and a better visualization of operations as they problem solve. 
  • Mind Your Own Budget - This one is usually $9.99!  From the University of Oklahoma.  It teaches teenagers about budgeting and financial literacy.  Maybe it will teach me something too! 
  • Cell Storming Presenter - TEACHER TOOL!  Usually $6.99.  I can see us using this to make some professional development plans and organize all those awesome ideas we have for new lessons and units!
Other FREEBIES!
  • Magic Chinese Books - I included the link for Magic Chinese Book 1, but Books 2-6 are also FREE today!  They appear to grow in difficulty as the apps progress.  For example, Book 6 appears to be more difficult than books 1-5, etc.  (Type the titles into your search bar or check the margin of the pop-up to see links to the other five apps.) 
  • Princess Coloring Book - BRAIN BREAK!  Time for coloring!  And who doesn't love princesses?
  • Physics, Heat and Cold - STEM-based science app that teaches about the physics behind heat and cold.
  • Easy Kid Cam - Kids can take pictures that are stored/saved inside their OWN camera so you don't have a camera roll full of "in motion" and blurred pictures. 
  • Numbers Memory Match! - Students match a counted quantity with the numeral and exercise memory skills.
  • Charlie the Chocolate Chihuahua Interactive Storybook - This just looks like fun!  I'm a "dog mom", so it didn't take much to convince me!
  • Learn Words 1 and Learn Words 2 - Great vocabulary builders for early learners. 
  • Converting Fractions - This flashcard math app helps students who are learning to convert fractions.  You can customize the set to target student needs.  
  • Complete 1st Grade Math Primer - I grabbed this app yesterday, and I was most impressed that it targets math vocabulary and language concepts!  This is perfect for ELs who may struggle with word problems or directions due to language.
  • Geography Drive USA - This geography app allows students to learn about our country while "driving" through the states.  
  • Achieve It With Sesame Street - What a better time to begin financial literacy than when your toddlers are watching Sesame Street?!  Elmo teaches students about saving, spending, and sharing in this app.
  • The Big Moving Adventure - An app to teach youngsters about what happens when you move.  It takes children through the entire moving process. 
  • Soccer Pre-K for iPhone - Begin early literacy and mathematical skills with an engaging soccer game that lets students write letters, match colors, and identify numbers.
  • Wild, Woolly, Wonderful Critters - Targets animal identification through early reading practice.  This one lets students record their reading, so it's great for reflective feedback!  
  • The Jungle Book - Classic tale, now in the interactive edition! 
  • Sparky Shark Interactive - Tale of a misunderstood shark.  I haven't read this one yet, but the animation is adorable, and it looks like it does a great job in explaining that things aren't always what they seem.
Apps from McGraw Hill
I didn't leave any commentary on these because they are ALL fabulous!
Apps Worth Purchasing (Especially Since They're Discounted!)
  • LanguageBuilder for iPad - This app is awesome for language learners.  It has immediate feedback, literacy building, conversational practice, receptive/expressive language functions, and SO MUCH MORE!  I can use it to track data for my students.  It's NOT free, but it's usually $9.99, and today it's only $1.99.  In my opinion, it's definitely worth buying.
  • Buzz Monster - WOAH!  I can't wait to try this one out with my students.  You can build your own Jeopardy-style game for students to play!  It's usually $5.99, but it's on sale for just $1.99 through the end of January.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan with Me Sundays: Vegas Edition

TpT Seller Challenge: Week 1: Makeover Madness

Monday Made It: My Diploma Frame & Focal Point