2015 Roles & Goals

The new year is off to an amazing start, and I wanted to share something with you that I've been working on for a while.  The school where I work practices the 7 Habits of Happy Kids.  I read the version for teenagers when I was a preteen and was made a believer!  The principles are timeless and logical and, perhaps most importantly, provide EVERYONE an opportunity to reflect and improve.  No matter where you are in the process, you've never "arrived"...you can always work to better yourself on some habit, in some way. 

It's interesting to revisit the habits as an adult, after I've had tons more life experiences and my paradigms have grown and changed.  When we completed our training on the 7 Habits at the beginning of this school year, we contemplated our major roles and began establishing our personal mission statements.  I've been working on a "map" of that idea for a while, and I've finally had a chance to sit down and finish it.  I released a "sneak peek" on Instagram the other day, but now I'm ready to share the real deal! 


On this PDF, I've combined what I believe to be my essential roles, my two primary goals, and my personal mission statement.  My essential roles are numerous, as are yours, but I believe that all that I do can be summarized under these five strands.  For example, in my role as a teacher, I collaborate with students, families, and coworkers, but I believe that this is all under my role as "accomplished teacher."  I also teach Sunday School, and this falls under my role of "growing Christian" because I constantly want to challenge myself to both model and instruct my students to lead them in the right way. 

Likewise, I constantly have goals that I want to accomplish, and narrowing the list down to two was nearly an impossible task for me.  But I had to put on my "prioritizing lens" and think about what I needed to focus on AT THIS POINT in my life.  Taking care of myself so that I can take care of the others around me is non-negotiable.  Life is short, and I want to live it the best that I may!  That's why taking better care of myself - spiritually, physically, etc. - has to be a priority.  My role as teacher and collaborator is what I do professionally...our jobs consume a major part of our lives, and we should enjoy every second of them!  By establishing this goal as my second goal, I will make sure that my focus stays on track to accomplish all the things I want to for my students, their families, and my coworkers. 

My personal mission statement is very powerful for me.  Each quality represents something significant about me - some moment, some influence, some something - that I want to live.  It represents my mission statement for where I am now, but as I grow and change, so should it. 

I plan to post this near my work areas so that I can remind myself of the direction in which I want my life to go, and I can ask myself daily whether the tasks I'm focused on at the moment will help me to achieve those things or support those "roles and goals."

Because I believe in sharing, and I know how powerful this reflective process has been for me, I wanted to share this template with you too!  I've loaded it up to TpT as a freebie, so click on the image below to take you to a direct download.  

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Roles-Goals-2015-Planning-The-Life-You-Want-1634480

I'd love to hear feedback on your "roles and goals" or your personal mission statement.  May 2015 be a year in which we all grow stronger and wiser!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TpT Seller Challenge: Week 1: Makeover Madness

Plan with Me Sundays: Vegas Edition

#2getherwearebetter: My Home Office