Wives of the Bible: Priscilla

 


It's been almost an entire year (woah!) since I wrote another post in my Wives of the Bible series.  I've been studying Gomer in Hosea off and on for a while, but I recently felt a strong connection to the Biblical accounts of Priscilla and her husband Aquila.  Just a short while back, my husband and I had what I think was our first "Aquila & Priscilla" moment of our marriage.  Of course, we enjoyed our time spent on the mission trip to Jamaica the first year we were married, but our roles there were different, so we didn't get to teach in tandem.  I worked with the children's classes and personal Bible studies, and his strong & handsome self worked on the construction team. :)  So my heart sort of fluttered inside when we recently had our first moment to teach and evangelize together... because I still remember the days I prayed for and longed for a Christian husband by my side.  Ironically enough, I had just been studying Priscilla in preparation for this post shortly before the opportunity, and I couldn't help but be thankful such a time presented itself.  God's timing is beautiful.  

Here are some ideas that we can learn from studying about Priscilla (and Aquila): 

💜According to Acts 18:2, we learn that Aquila and Priscilla dealt with difficulties in their marriage.  It states that the couple had relocated to Corinth because of persecution in Italy.  We don't have extensive details, but we can draw some logical conclusions.  Persecution -- by definition -- is painful, tragic, and difficult.  It can be trying to the strongest of individuals, couples, and families.  Together, they faced the storms before them and made the -- what had to be difficult -- decision to move.  Whether she was active in the decision making process or whether she merely supported her husband in his leadership, they traveled TOGETHER to escape the persecution and build a new life together in a new place.  Do I support my husband when times are tough?  Am I easy to lead?  Do I make it easy for him to come to me if he is facing temptation or persecution?  Am I his biggest fan?  

💜Further reading in Acts 18 teaches us that Paul stayed with the couple because they shared the same secular profession as Paul: tent making.  They were hardworking and industrious together.  Their profession even provided this opportunity to connect with someone influential, which led to furthering the gospel.  Am I ambitious with my husband?  Do we work well on projects together?  Do I look for every opportunity with him to advance the gospel?  

💜They hosted Paul in their home for a LONG time.  This speaks to their hospitality and "team spirit."  To me... it also speaks to their bravery because if I'm honest, even though Paul was demonstrating his changed heart to all those who listened, I can't assertively say that I wouldn't still be scared or skeptical of him!  Yet they opened their home to him, and no doubt they were blessed for such hospitality and generosity.  Do I open my home to other Christians? Or even to others who I may hastily judge? Do I join my husband in wanting to make my (our) home a hospitable and inviting place for others?  

💜Around Acts 18:18, we read about Paul's departure for Antioch.  It appears that the couple traveled with him on this journey.  They uprooted once more -- together -- for the advancement of the gospel.  Wherever her husband was, she was there.  And I don't mean this in the creepy stalker way... you know what I mean. In a world that calls good evil and evil good, in a world that calls mutual respect and submission "being whipped", am I right by my husband's side to serve at all times?  Wherever my husband goes, can I be found nearby?  Am I willing to break worldly ties and go anywhere in the world with my husband to advance God's message?    

💜In verses 24-28, we read about the couple engaging in an intimate study with a man named Apollos.  The couple was ready to teach together.  They were eager to correct -- gently and in agape love -- the misunderstandings of another.  They were discreet in how they handled this study too: the Greek words for "took him aside" in verse 26 can mean "to take by the hand to lead; to receive into one's home with kindness; to take into friendship".  They were AWARE of the opportunity when it presented itself, they didn't ignore it thinking "someone else will deal with this", and they didn't publicly humiliate the man but rather gently corrected him and "explained to him the way of God more accurately".  No doubt they were putting time spent with Paul to good use here... could you imagine what all they probably learned from him by hosting Paul in their home?  Am I ready to teach others with my husband?  Am I studying to be ready for such an occasion?  Am I gentle or overbearing in how I try to lead others to Christ?   

💜In Romans 16:3-4, they are referred to as "helpers in Christ with Paul."  They apparently had risked their own well being for Paul's protection and for the advancement of the gospel.  Am I a "helper in Christ" with my husband?  Do we have such a reputation together?  How can I build upon that reputation? 

May God grant us many more opportunities to be more Christlike in our days on this earth and may He give us opportunities and bravery to cultivate the attributes of this couple and lead others to the Way.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plan with Me Sundays: Vegas Edition

#2getherwearebetter: My Home Office

TpT Seller Challenge: Week 1: Makeover Madness